Thursday, February 18, 2010

Why Build My Own Furniture?

Is it the lack of a local IKEA outlet or a general lack of funds? Perhaps it is my need to create, that has fueled this "create to fill the need".

 In this case a tiny room 11 1/2'x 9 1/2'
 with several uses

  1. exercise
  2. living room 
  3. entertaining (Wii)
  4. work station
  5. spare bedroom
  6. roomba barn (cat entertainment)
  7. cat lounge
This tiny house (380 sq. ft) was built in 1937 (may be older and was moved to present location then) probably built of scrap wood carted home from our now defunct mill. Another popular version of this story, is that this was a line house located out on the railroad system (also largely defunct at this time, with the vestiges being our Skunk Train) and was moved here at a later date.

I am trying to create, with almost no budget, and far less in the skill and tool department (mostly borrowed),  furniture that will accomplish the above goals, staying in context with the original structure, perhaps strengthening it  in the process and adding a bit more insulation for warmth and sound (vibration). Decreasing my carbon footprint ya-da ya-da....

At some point I will leave this house and I will not be able to take it with me. Imagine- moving day, no truck, no moving of furniture. Just drive away!

Another reason to build-in the furniture. You know all that gross stuff, that gets under and behind your couch,, that causes you to have to move furniture around in a place so tiny that you can't move it and you can't even fit a vacuum cleaner into clean it up? That's right, I am attempting the near impossible; the wrangling of dust bunnies and their feral offspring.

My time frame 6 months.
Get ready, set go....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you.